Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

El Castillo de Monterey

 
 
El Castillo de Monterey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
1. El Castillo de Monterey Marker
Inscription. Site of a Spanish fort constructed in 1792 to protect the port and presidio of Monterey from invaders. This is one of only three such forts constructed by the Spanish in California.
 
Erected by Monterey History & Art Association.
 
Location. 36° 36.365′ N, 121° 53.748′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Corporal Ewing Road. Click for map. This marker is located in the Presidio de Monterey to the east of Corporal Ewing Road on a small knoll overlooking Monterey Bay. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93944, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bouchard Monument (a few steps from this marker but has been reported missing); The Argentine Navy (a few steps from this marker); El Castillo Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Here ... landed Very Rev. Father Junipero Serra (within shouting distance of this marker); Presidio of Monterey Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Don Caspar de Portolá (about 600 feet away); 400th Anniversary of the Naming of Monterey Bay by Gen. Sebastián Vizcaíno
El Castillo de Monterey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
2. El Castillo de Monterey Marker
(about 700 feet away); Sloat Monument (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Monterey.
 
Also see . . .  Posts at Monterey. El Castillo (1792-1846), the fort of the first presidio at Monterey, began as an open V shaped parapet of logs and adobe revetments enclosing a small wooden barracks. Adobe structures were added later. From 1792 to 1822, this fort was the castillio, or fortification, for the Spanish presidio. (Submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement