“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Collierville Christian Church

Collierville Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2013
1. Collierville Christian Church Marker
Inscription. The Collierville Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was originally founded in Fayette County near the close of the Civil War. Construction began at the present location in 1873. Renovations to the building were made in 1906, and again in the 1950ís. It is defined as a one-story frame vernacular Gothic Revival with a two-story corner tower and steeple. The tower housed the largest bell in Shelby County, weighing 800 lbs. Architectural features include metal-roofed gables and gothic-arched stained glass windows and transoms, with entrances facing Poplar and Main Street. Turned spindles decorate the interior choir alcove and baptistery. The congregation remained here until 1992 when it relocated. The building was purchased by the Morton family in 2007 and donated to the Town of Collierville in memory of their mother, Bess Crawford Morton, a faithful member of the congregation.
Location. 35° 2.714′ N, 89° 39.836′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East Poplar Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 153 E. Poplar Ave., Collierville TN 38017, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Collierville High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Collierville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tom Brooks Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Wigfall Grays (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Collierville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Collierville.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 204 times since then and 50 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement