Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bartow in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Historic L. B. Brown House

ca. 1892

 
 
The Historic L. B. Brown House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, March 16, 2012
1. The Historic L. B. Brown House Marker
Inscription. The L. B. Brown House was built in 1892, during the period of Bartow's initial development. It is a good example of Frame Vernacular construction typical of that period. This house is decorated with intricate mill work and gingerbread. The house has nine rooms. The Brown house was built by Lawrence Bernard Brown (1856-1941) who was born into slavery, in Wacahoota, outside of Archer. He moved to Deland around 1882 where he built a number of houses. Lawrence moved to Bartow during the 1880s and built a large number of dwellings, one of which was the L. B. Brown House. Lawrence and AnnieBelle (1882-1938) Brown raised seven children here. Lawrence and his wife are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery in Bartow. The house is now owned by the Neighborhood Improvement Corporation of Bartow, Inc. Restoration was completed in 2001 with the cooperation of the city of Bartow, citizens of Bartow, and the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources.
A Florida Historic Landmark
 
Erected 2006 by Neighborhood Improvement Corporation of Bartow and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-590.)
 
Location. 27° 53.623′ N, 81° 50.061′ W. Marker is in Bartow, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is on
Wide view of the Historic L. B. Brown House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, March 16, 2012
2. Wide view of the Historic L. B. Brown House Marker
The marker stands in front of the recently restored L.B Brown House in a residential neighborhood of Bartow.
South 2nd Avenue 0.2 miles south of East Main Street (U.S. 98), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 470 South 2nd Avenue, Bartow FL 33830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Swearingen - Langford House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Co E 7th Florida Inf Regt South Florida Bulldogs (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Polk County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Fort Blount (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mann Manor (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Carroll (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Fraser (approx. 4.3 miles away); Historic Kissengen Spring (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bartow.
 
Also see . . .  Historic L.B. Brown House and Museum in Bartow, Florida. To preserve the historic L.B. Brown House for use as a museum to help educate the public about the significant contributions made by African-Americans to Florida's history and to serve as the site for the L. B. Brown Heritage Conference and Festival, which seeks to provide a principal forum for outstanding scholars and fun-filled entertainment. (Submitted on March 31, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. African Americans
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by Kathleen Black of Woodbridge, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement