Stanleytown in Henry County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Trial, constructed in 1756, once stood nearby overlooking the Smith River. It was one in a series of forts authorized by the General Assembly to be built on the frontier to protect settlers from Indians during the French and Indian War. The square fort was made of twenty-foot split timbers erected close together. Four feet of timber were buried in the earth and the walls were about sixteen feet high. George Washington visited Fort Trial in 1756. It was abandoned near the end of the eighteenth century when hostilities between colonists and Indians had subsided.
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A 54.)
Location. 36° 44.588′ N, 79° 56.213′ W. Marker is in Stanleytown, Virginia, in Henry County. Marker is on Virginia Avenue (U.S. 220) north of Fairystone Park Hwy (Virginia Route 57), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stanleytown VA 24168, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Near War's End (approx. 5 miles away); Henry County War Memorial (approx. 5 miles away); Martinsville (approx. Henry County U.D.C. Monument (approx. 5 miles away); Franklin County / Henry County (approx. 5.2 miles away); Martinsville Speedway (approx. 8.6 miles away); Colonel Abram Penn (approx. 9.6 miles away); Fairy Stone State Park (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Categories. • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 334 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.