Rocky Mount in Franklin County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Here through the Maggoty Gap, the Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia to Georgia, known locally as the Carolina Road, passes through the Blue Ridge. Originating as the Great Warrior Path of the Iroquois centuries before, the path was frequently used by the Iroquois before being ceded to the whites in 1744 to become one of the most heavily traveled roads in all Colonial America.
Franklin County Bicentennial † 1786-1986
Erected 1987 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number A 96.)
Location. 37° 3.163′ N, 79° 52.95′ W. Marker is in Rocky Mount, Virginia, in Franklin County. Marker is on Virgil H. Goode Hwy. (U.S. 220) south of Virginia Route 635, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rocky Mount VA 24151, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ferrum College (here, next to this marker); Fort Blackwater (here, next to this marker); Franklin County (approx. 3.6 miles away); Norfolk and Western Caboose (approx. 3.6 miles away); Rocky Mount First Franklin County Court (approx. 4.4 miles away); Washington Iron Works (approx. 4.4 miles away); Taylorís Store (approx. 6.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rocky Mount.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.