Hermann in Gasconade County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Monnig Family General Store
1870 - 1890
On April 15, 1870, Otto Monnig purchased this building on the corner of East Front and Guttenberg Streets and relocated his established hardware and cutlery store to this site. Over time, he expanded his inventory, adding a full line of clothing, toys, and groceries. His son-in-law, Dr. Gustave Ettmueller, opened a drug store and post office in the building. Otto Monnig also founded the Hermann Savings Bank in a building located at 106 Schiller Street, and served as its president from 1867 to 1883.
On July 29, 1886, fire destroyed this building, its contents, and the upstairs apartments. One employee, Gussie Pfautsch, was killed in the blaze. The damage was repaired and the store reopened for business by Thanksgiving of that year.
The Monnig family store was sold in 1890 to Prudot and Scherer. In 1889 the Otto Monnig family moved to Fort Worth, Texas, where Otto and three of his sons established the Monnig Department Store. In addition to a downtown Fort Worth location, Monnig's had five suburban stores, a distribution center and a warehouse. The store remained in the Monnig family until its sale in 1980.
Otto Monnig and two of his brothers, Dr. Oscar Monnig and Hugo Monnig, migrated to the United States from Rees, Germany in the 1840s. They settled and reared their families in the vicinity of Hermann,
Location. 38° 42.41′ N, 91° 25.982′ W. Marker is in Hermann, Missouri, in Gasconade County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street (Missouri Route 100) and Gutenberg Street, on the left when traveling east on 1st Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 237 East 1st Street, Hermann MO 65041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Trails Juncture (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Voyage of Discovery (about 500 feet away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri (about 500 feet away); The Concert Hall and Barrel Bar (about 500 feet away); Schlender Building (about 700 feet away); Gustav Wohlt House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gasconade County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Weber-Schulte House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hermann.
Also see . . .
1. Hermann Historic District National Register Nomination Amendment. (Submitted on February 10, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. History of Hermann, Missouri. (Submitted on February 10, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Monnig's Department Store, Fort Worth, Texas. (Submitted on February 10, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. Monnig's Department Store, Fort Worth, Texas. (Submitted on February 10, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.