Daleville in Botetourt County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Daleville College began as a private school that Church of the Brethren educator Isaac N. H. Beahm conducted for the children of Benjamin F. Nininger and George Layman in 1890. The construction of school buildings began the following year. In 1892, the school incorporated as the Botetourt Normal College. It was renamed Daleville College in 1910. Affiliated with the Church of the Brethren, the college merged with Bridgewater College effective in 1924. The campus became Daleville Academy, a secondary school, until it closed in 1933. The surviving academic buildings here are good examples of early-20th-century educational architecture in Virginia.
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number D 41.)
Location. 37° 24.166′ N, 79° 54.775′ W. Marker is in Daleville, Virginia, in Botetourt County. Marker is on Roanoke Road (U.S. 220), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Daleville VA 24083, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cloverdale Furnace (approx. 2.2 miles away); Greenfield (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Carolina Road Roanoke County / Botetourt County (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hollins College (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fort William (approx. 3.9 miles away); Coming of the Railroad (approx. 6.5 miles away); Santillane (approx. 6.5 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 336 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.