Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Carver School Grounds

 
 
Carver School Grounds Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, February 11, 2013
1. Carver School Grounds Marker
Inscription. When Fort Clark’s Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment was disbanded by the U.S. Army on September 30, 1914, the Seminoles were required to relocate to Brackettville. They held school in their church until new grounds were purchased by the Brackett Independent School District in March 1919 from J.F. Maddux for the purpose of providing a site for a “colored school” for Brackettville’s Seminole-Negro community. The old Maddux homestead, a two-story limestone structure built in 1870, served as the building for the school, which was named George Washington Carver School. The first floor was used for classrooms while the second floor was leased to the Black Masonic Lodge until 1923. In 1930, the structure was condemned as unfit and unsafe for school purposes. The second story of the building was thus removed in 1944 and first floor was remodeled inside and stuccoed on the outside. The building was again used as classrooms for the primary and elementary grades while high school classes were conducted in a new building completed in early 1944 by the 162nd Engineer Squadron of the 2nd Cavalry Division then stationed at Fort Clark.

At the time, Carver School was the only accredited Black school between San Antonio and El Paso. The Seminole Indian Scout Cemetery Association was deeded the school grounds by the Bracket I.S.D.
Original 1870 Maddux homestead and first George Washington Carver School image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, February 11, 2013
2. Original 1870 Maddux homestead and first George Washington Carver School
in November 1965. The original stone schoolhouse has since served as a meeting hall and cultural center for the Brackettville Seminole Community, including local Juneteenth celebrations and Seminole Day each September. The 1944 building now serves as classrooms for the community Headstart Program.
 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16259.)
 
Location. 29° 18.796′ N, 100° 25.28′ W. Marker is in Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of South Beaumont Street and Spring Street (Alternate Texas Route 166), on the right when traveling north on South Beaumont Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Filippone Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Partrick Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Kinney County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Clark, CSA (approx. 0.3 miles away); Las Moras Masonic Lodge Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Las Moras Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kinney County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brackettville.
 
Regarding Carver School Grounds.
Carver School Grounds Marker with two schools on right. image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, February 11, 2013
3. Carver School Grounds Marker with two schools on right.
A bronze plaque is mounted left of the entrance to the 1944 school in memory of Dorthy B.Wilson who was the first Seminole-Negro from the Brackettville community to graduate from college. She returned home and influenced the lives of Seminole children for 36 years as their teacher.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducationNative Americans
 
Second Carver School erected in 1944 by U.S. Army image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, February 11, 2013
4. Second Carver School erected in 1944 by U.S. Army
Dorthy B. Wilson Plaque mounted on the 1944 Carver School. image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, February 11, 2013
5. Dorthy B. Wilson Plaque mounted on the 1944 Carver School.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 530 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement