Hermann in Gasconade County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Strehly House / The Strehlys
This house combines the European half-timber construction with the local brick tradition. It is representative of the less affluent Germans who emigrated to Missouri in the early 19th century, survived frontier hardships, and prospered in the New World. Carl Strehly did well enough to add two rooms to his house, completing it in the 1860s.
[Illustration captions read]
A method of construction using jointed and pegged structural timbers filled in with nonstructural materials
A technique in which brick is used as the nonstructural fill material in a timber-frame structure.
Plaster and lath
An interior finishing technique in which plaster is smoothed over a wooden support lattice.
Frame and weatherboard
An exterior finishing technique in which structural framing is covered with weatherboard.
On this site, the important radical journal Licht-Freund was published by Edward Muehl and his brother-in-law, Carl Procopius Strehly. Muehl, a freidenker (free-thinker), was opposed to slavery. His influential voice among Germans statewide helped Missouri to stay with
The Strehly house is noteworthy for its attached commercial building. In 1855, Carl Strehly went into the wine business, which the city council had actively encouraged since 1844. He built an addition that included a wine cellar, production area, tavern, and dance hall.
[Illustration captions read]
The upper floor of the winery served as dance hall and erholung (entertainment center), in the 19th century.
The last-known carved wine cask in Missouri, this one is signed and dated 1875. It depicts Bacchus, god of wine.
In the 19th century, vineyards were interspersed among the houses in this part of Hermann. The vines still growing behind the Strehly House date from the 1850s.
Erected by Missouri Dept of Natural Resources.
Location. 38° 42.369′ N, 91° 26.375′ W. Marker is in Hermann, Missouri, in Gasconade County. Marker is on 2nd Street west of Market Street (Missouri Route 19/100), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. House is part of the Deutschheim State Historical Site. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 West 2nd Street, Hermann MO 65041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Conrad Schuch Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Pommer-Gentner House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hermann (about 500 feet away); Hermann Honor Roll World War II (about 500 feet away); Hermann: Germania's Liberator (about 600 feet away); The Robyn House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Maria Waechter House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Peters House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hermann.
Also see . . .
1. Hermann Historic District National Register Nomination Amendment. (Submitted on February 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. History of Hermann, Missouri. (Submitted on February 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Deutschheim State Historic Site, Missouri. (Submitted on February 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
4. History of Hermann, Missouri. (Submitted on February 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
5. The German settlement society of Philadelphia, and its colony, Hermann, Missouri. (Submitted on February 12, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.