Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Military Roads in Texas
The Spanish era opened El Camino Real (the Old San Antonio Road) in 1691 to join Louisiana to Mexico. After 1836, Republic of Texas settlers demanded forts for safety from Indians; a main 1840 supply road followed present Austin-Dallas highway. Central National Road, 1844, linked Trinity and Red Rivers. (Its rules required all trees to be cut 12 inches or less from ground).
From 1848 to 1860, surveys by U.S. led to a network of military roads in west central Texas. In 1849, Capt. Randolph B. Marcy blazed a West Texas trail used by California gold hunters. Famed U.S. 2nd Cavalry made Ft. Belknap—San Antonio Road a military artery in 1850s.
During Civil War, supplies moved from Mexico to Texas over the Cotton Road. The Indian campaigns of Capt. R.S. Mackenzie in 1870s opened trails across the staked plains; but by 1881, the railroad had begun to replace Texas' once-famous military routes.
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road, and the The Comanche Trail into Mexico marker series.
Location. 29° 18.481′ N, 100° 24.993′ W. Marker is in Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of East Military Highway (U.S. 90) and South Fort Street, on the right when traveling east on East Military Highway. Click for map. Located 100 yards east of the entrance to Fort Clark Springs. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 E Military St, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Clark (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Army Service Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Clark Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juan A. Avila 1921-2008 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officers' Club Open Mess (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Cavalry Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Las Moras Masonic Lodge Building (approx. ľ mile away); Fight at Las Moras Spring (approx. ľ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Brackettville.
Regarding Military Roads in Texas. Some of the marker information is inaccurate. Captain Randolf B. Marcy had nothing to do with the estabishment of the Chihuahua road, or more accurately the "Lower Road." That honor belongs to then Colonel Joseph E. Johnston (later General, CSA) who lead the "great train" of 275 wagons and 2,500 animals from San Antonio to El Paso in the summer of 1849, literally building the road as he went. In addition, Ranald Slidell Mackenzie was a Brevet Brigadier General during his duty in Texas, not a Captain.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.