Pushed Back by the Sea
The first lighthouses built here in 1838 were placed over 600 feet east of where you are standing now. As ocean waves ate away at the base of the cliffs, causing erosion rates averaging three feet per year, the original beacons had to be replaced with three wooden towers set father back from the edge.
In less than two decades, the cliffs approached the wooden lighthouses, so one of the towers was pulled further back and attached to the lighthouse keeper's house. In 1923, a cast-iron lighthouse - the current Nauset Light - was brought to the site from Chatham and set well back from the advancing shoreline.
The main photo shows Nauset Light as it stood in 1996, when less than 40 feet remained between the light and the eroding cliff edge. That year, the lighthouse moved again, across the road to its current site. Today Nauset Light is preserved and interpreted by the Nauset Light Preservation Society, a group of committed local people who keep this important story alive for visitors.
Erected by Cape Cod National Seashore.
Location. 41° 51.584′ N, 69° 57.148′ W. Marker is in Orleans
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Long, Black Cable (a few steps from this marker); The Nauset Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Sisters Lit the Way (approx. ¼ mile away); Workboat of the Marshes (approx. 1.9 miles away); Kettles (approx. 1.9 miles away); Eastham Windmill (approx. 2.3 miles away); First Encounter Monument (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Encounter Plaque (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Orleans.
Categories. • Landmarks • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.