Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Harrisburg Public Library Dauphin County Library System

 
 
Harrisburg Public Library Dauphin County Library System Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. Harrisburg Public Library Dauphin County Library System Marker
Inscription. Founded in 1889, the Harrisburg Public Library became a national model of 19th Century efforts to bring the world's information to community residents, a role that continues today. Its first home was at 125 Locust Street in a building erected by James McCormick, Jr., which still stands. McCormick lived around the corner at 101 N. Front Street, just across Walnut Street from the side yard garden of the Haldeman Mansion at 27 n. Front Street. It was here that Jacob Haldeman's daughter, Sara Haldeman Haly, would continue to reside until her death in 1895. the Haldeman mansion had been erected circa 1810 and served as the residence of Governor John Andrew Shultz from 1823 to 1829. Like the McCormick's, the Haldemans were an old Harrisburg family involved in the transportation, banking and manufacturing industries. In 1900, the executors of Sara Haldeman Haly's estate donated the side yard garden of her home to the Library. Thereon, the present library building was constructed in 1914. Limestone in construction and Georgian Revival in style, the building continued to serve as the Harrisburg Public Library until 1976 when it evolved into the Dauphin County Library system, with branches now situated across the county.
Top Photo
1900 view of the Haldeman Haly Residence's side yard garden on Front Street at Walnut Street where the
Harrisburg Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
2. Harrisburg Public Library
Haldeman residence is the brick building next to the library.
Harrisburg Public Library would be erected in 1914.
Bottom Photo
1915 postcard showing the Library shortly after construction.

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
 
Location. 40° 15.557′ N, 76° 53.069′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Front Street and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on N. Front Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Swenson Plaza Flood Memorial (here, next to this marker); James McCormick Mansion (here, next to this marker); The People’s Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Walnut Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The People’s Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Calder/Olmsted/McCormick Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Governors’ Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Greetings to Future Harrisburgers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyCharity & Public WorkEducationIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,190 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement