Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Jefferson in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson

Circa 1855

 
 
First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 15, 2013
1. First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson Marker
Inscription. The church was built by Congregationalists and sold to the Baptists in 1861. The steeple was a landmark for captains looking for the customs house located in front of the church from the mid to late 1800's.

Information courtesy PJ Historical Society
 
Location. 40° 56.744′ N, 73° 4.007′ W. Marker is in Port Jefferson, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and Prospect Street, on the right when traveling north on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 East Main Street, Port Jefferson NY 11777, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roe Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles away); Selah B. Strong - Kate Strong House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Richard Woodhull (approx. 2.2 miles away); Benjamin Tallmadge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of Strongs Neck Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); St. George’s Manor Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Abraham Woodhull (approx. 2.3 miles away); Zachariah Hawkins (approx. 2.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 15, 2013
2. First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here attached to the railing on the left side of the steps.
Detail Above Entrance - Window and Dedication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 15, 2013
3. Detail Above Entrance - Window and Dedication Plaque
The plaque reads "Port Jefferson Baptist Church - Organized Oct. 2, 1861".
First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson image. Click for full size.
By Arthur S. Greene
4. First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson
"Baptist Church, intersection of Port Jefferson’s East Main and Prospect streets. The Biddle Fountain is shown forward of the church. John Biddle (1829-1903), a wealthy piano manufacturer and summer resident of the village, donated the ornamental fountain, which was dedicated on August 18, 1898. The fountain was removed in 1919 as roads were widened and sidewalks were installed. There is no record as to what happened to the fountain itself." - Electronic record 2011.8.29, retrieved 2/21/2013 from http://www.portjeff.com/village-history/community-life-photos/
First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 15, 2013
5. First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement