Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Royal Presidio Chapel

 
 
Royal Presidio Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 12, 2013
1. Royal Presidio Chapel Marker
Inscription. The Royal Chapel of San Carlos de Borromeo, founded June 3, 1770, is the only remaining Presidio chapel in California.

Madariaga Adobe * Follow Church St. to Abrego
Cell Phone Tour (831) 718-9123 enter 710
 
Erected by City of Monterey.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 36° 35.758′ N, 121° 53.443′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Streeet and Figueroa Street, on the left when traveling west on Church Streeet. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 598 Church Street, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Revolutionary War Historical Site (within shouting distance of this marker); De Anza Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish Presidio (within shouting distance of this marker); San Carlos Parish Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Junipero Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Madariaga Adobe
Royal Presidio Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
2. Royal Presidio Chapel Marker
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orientations At The Marsh Building (about 500 feet away); Casa Pacheco (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Monterey.
 
Regarding Royal Presidio Chapel. The Royal Presidio Chapel is California Historical Landmark No. 105
 
Also see . . .  Royal Presidio Chapel History - San Carlos Cathedral. On June 1, the vessel arrived in Monterey Bay. During a shipboard meeting, Father Serra, Portola, and other officials conferred on the founding of Mission San Carlos Borromeo. All of them agreed that Pentecost Sunday, June 3, 1770, was a good pick for the dedication day. (Submitted on February 27, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Hispanic Americans
 
Royal Presidio Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
3. Royal Presidio Chapel
A Registered National Historic Landmark plaque is located beneath the sign on the left boulder.
Royal Presidio Chapel plaque image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
4. Royal Presidio Chapel plaque

Royal Presidio Chapel
Has been designated a
Registered National
Historic Landmark

under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1933
This site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating and illustrating
the history of the United States.

U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service 1961
Today the Royal Presidio Chapel is called the San Carlos Cathedral image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, February 12, 2013
5. Today the Royal Presidio Chapel is called the San Carlos Cathedral
Royal Presidio Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
6. Royal Presidio Chapel
Stones mark the location of several earlier chapels image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
7. Stones mark the location of several earlier chapels
Interior of the San Carlos Cathedral image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
8. Interior of the San Carlos Cathedral
Before the most recent renovations, there were several plaques in front of the Royal Presidio Chapel image. Click for full size.
circa n/a
9. Before the most recent renovations, there were several plaques in front of the Royal Presidio Chapel
Our Lady of Bethlehem Shrine image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
10. Our Lady of Bethlehem Shrine
on the grounds of the San Carlos Cathedral. The plaque reads:
Our Lady of Bethlehem Shrine
Patroness of the Diocese of Monterey

This shrine was originally built and
dedicated in memory of
Catherine “Rena” Coniglio
by her husband and five daughters in
1967, the year of her death. The five
white rabbits on the tile plaque
represent her five daughters. This
shrine was rebuilt and relocated to
its current location as a part of the
conservation and restoration of
San Carlos Cathedral in 2008 with
the gracious cooperation of the
Peter Coniglio Family.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement