San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
San Francisco Port of Embarkation (1932-1962)
Critical Logistics Center for the Armyís Pacific Operations.
From its start in 1902 as an army hospital, built to accommodate twelve patients, this building went on to become the U. S. Armyís headquarters for troop and supply transport to the Pacific.
By 1906, most of Fort Masonís sick soldiers were sent to the Presidioís larger facility and much of the hospital here was used for temporary barracks, storage, and other non-critical functions. Then in 1912 the army established a major troop and cargo depot along Fort Masonís shoreline and the buildingís future was set—the old hospital became the new shipping centerís headquarters.
The depot, which was renamed the San Francisco Port of Embarkation in 1932, dispatched more than 1.6 million soldiers and over 23 million tons of supplies during World War II alone. Transport and shipping operations continued at Fort Mason into the early 1960s. By the time operations ceased, this modest building had long been an important site in the nationís historic rise to international power.
At times, celebration, ceremony, and high-ranking visitors like General Eisenhower were the order of the day at Fort Mason. But day in and day out, the men and women who worked in this building coordinated the movement of soldiers and supplies
Vast numbers of soldiers shipped out for Pacific destinations from the San Francisco Port of Embarkation at Fort Mason.
After the earthquake and fire in 1906, this site at Fort Mason was one of several civilian emergency relief camps established by the army on military lands around San Francisco. Note the top of the post hospital building (today's park headquarters) above the tents.
World War II U.S. Army Posts and Facilities
In addition to the Fort Mason warehouses and piers, the Port of Embarkation staff managed port activities at the Embarcadero, Alameda, and Benicia Piers; the Oakland Army Base; Emeryville Ordnance Shops, and other locations.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 37° 48.336′ N, 122° 25.686′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker can be reached from MacArthur Avenue west of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located at Fort Mason within the boundaries of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: San Francisco CA 94123, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Mason Historic District (about 600 feet away, measured in San Francisco Port of Embarkation (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Mason Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Mason (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named San Francisco Port of Embarkation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Clock Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Ship into San Francisco Bay (approx. 0.3 miles away); Andrea's Fountain (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . . The U.S. Army's San Francisco Port of Embarkation In World War II. During World War II, more than 4,000 voyages by freighters and over 800 by troopships emanating from the San Francisco Port of Embarkation carried nearly 1,650,000 soldiers and 23,600,000 ship tons of cargo to support the efforts of General MacArthur in the Southwest Pacific Area and Admiral Chester Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Ocean Area. (Submitted on March 8, 2013.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. 2. submitted on , by Jo Solorzano of Guatemala City, Guatemala. 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.