Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Welshpool in Charlotte County, New Brunswick — The Canadian Atlantic
 

Campobello Company and Hotels

Le Campobello Company et les Hôtels

 
 
Campobello Company and Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 23, 2011
1. Campobello Company and Hotels Marker
Inscription.

Although visitors had been coming to the island since 1855, Campobello's summer trade did not really prosper until the 1880s - years of long summer vacations and great resorts. A group of Boston and New York businessmen bought most of the island in 1881. The new owners called themselves the Campobello Company; their plan was to promote the island as a summer resort. They hoped to lure a wealthy clientele with extensive leisure time to the island, let them enjoy the area's many charms, and sell them land.

The Campobello Company constructed three large, luxurious hotels: the Owen (photo 1), the Tyn-y-Coed, and the Tyn-y-Maes (photo 2). Hotel brochures promoted the favorable climate, clean, bracing, salt-tinged and balsam-scented air, and abundant scenic beauty. As well, the hotels advertised unequaled boating and fishing, enjoyable excursions by land and sea, and relief from hay fever. Both Canadian and American papers and periodicals promoted Campobello as a summer resort. Families from New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Ottawa and Montreal escaped to Campobello by private yacht, steamship, and train.

Two steam launches (photo 3) were purchased by the Campobello Company to ferry passengers from Eastport to the company's hotels and to ferry passengers between the Owen and the Tyn-y-Coed's floating wharf (photo
Campobello Company and Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 23, 2011
2. Campobello Company and Hotels Marker
4).
—————————
Bien qu'une foule de visiteurs aient fréquenté l'île depuis 1855, le commerce relié à la saison estival n'a commencé qu'à prospérer au milieu des années 1880 - années marquées par de longues vacances estivales et la construction de magnifiques lieux de villégiature. Un groupe d'hommes d'affaires de Boston et de New York fit l'acquisition d'une grande partie de l'île en 1881. Les nouveaux propriétaires formèrent une nouvelle compaignie appelée la Campobello Company. Leur objectif était de promouvoir l'image de l'île comme centre de villégiature. Leur but était d'attirer de nombreaux clients aisés, ayant beaucoup de temps libre et les moyens pour profiter la beauté de l'île, pour leur vendre des terres.

La Campobello Company fit construire trois hôtels de luxe: le Owen (photo 1), le Tyn-y-Coed et le Tyn-y-Maes (photo 2). Les brochures publicitaires de l'époque vantaient le climat tempéré, l'air pur, vivifiant, salin et embaumé, ainsi que la grande beauté du paysage de l'île. De plus, les hôtels annonçaient les conditions inégalées de la navigation de plaisance et de la pêche, les agréables excursions sur terre et en mer, sans compter un climat idéal pour soulager les symptômes de la fièvre des foins. La presse, tant canadienne qu'américaine, vantait les mérites de Campobello comme lieu de
Photo 1 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, undated
3. Photo 1 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker
villégiature. Les familles aisées de New York, Boston, Philadelphia et de Montréal s'y rendaient à bord de yachts privés, de bateaux à vapeur et en train.

La Compagnie fit également l'acquisition de deux bateaux à vapeur (photo 3) pour effectuer la traversée des passagers entre Eastport et les hôtels de la compagnie et aussi pour faire la traversée entre le Owen et le quai flottant de l'hôtel Tyn-y-Coed (photo 4).
—————————
Photo 1.
Campobello's first resort hotel was the Owen, located on Deer Point across the bay from this observation deck. The Owen was closed after 1889 and dismantled some time before 1920.
Le Owen fut le premier hôtel construit sur l'île de Campobello, à Deerpoint, de l'autre côte de la baie. Le Owen ferma ses portes après 1889 et fut démoli aux environs de 1920.

Photo 2.
James and Sara Roosevelt and one-year-old Franklin stayed at the Tyn-y-Coed (Welsh for "house in the woods") Hotel at left during the summer of 1883. The Tyn-y-Maes ("house in the fields") is at right. These hotels closed about 1907. The Tyn-y-maes caught fire and burned between 1908 and 1912, after which the Tyn-y-Coed was dismantled.
Á gauche - Au cours de l'été 1883, James et Sara Roosevelt et leur fils d'un an lors d'un séjour à l'hôtel Tyn-y-Coed, nom d'origine galloise qui
Photo 2 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, pre/1913
4. Photo 2 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker
signifie "La Maison dans les Bois". Á droite - L'hôtel Tyn-y-Maes ou "La Maison dans les Champs". Les bâtiments du Tyn-y-Maes fermèrent leurs portes vers 1907 et furent détruits par des incendies entre 1908 et 1912. C'est à la suite de l'un de ces incendies que le Tyn-y-Coed fut démoli.

Photo 3.
The Campobello Company's steam launch Emmet carried hotel guests to and from Eastport.
Le bateau à vapeur Emmet de la Campobello Company transportant des passagers en provenance des hôtels de l'île vers Eastport.

Photo 4.
The Hubbard Cottage, brown when this 1904 photo was taken, is at left. In the center is the James and Sara Roosevelt Cottage. At far right is the Kuhn Cottage, which eventually became the FDR summer home. In the foreground is the large floating wharf constructed by the Campobello Company. The wharf was destroyed in a storm in 1903.
La résidence d'été Hubbard, de couleur brune lors de la prise de cette photo, se trouve à gauche. Au centre de la photo se trouve la résidence d'été James et Sara Roosevelt. Á l'extréme droite se trouve la résidence d'été Kuhn qui est éventuellement devenue la résidence d'été de FDR. Á l'avant se trouve l'énorme quai flottant construit par la Campobello Company. Le quai fut détruit par un orage en 1903.
 
Erected by Roosevelt Campobello
Photo 3 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, undated
5. Photo 3 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker
International Park.
 
Location. 44° 52.575′ N, 66° 58.315′ W. Marker is near Welshpool, New Brunswick, in Charlotte County. Click for map. Marker is at the Friar's Head/Cap Friars Observation Deck accessed off Provincial Road 774, about 0.7 miles west of the main entrance to Roosevelt Campobello International Park. Marker is in this post office area: Welshpool, New Brunswick E5E 1A4, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roosevelt Campobello International Park (here, next to this marker); Mulholland Point / La Pointe Mulholland (here, next to this marker); Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project (here, next to this marker); Passamaquoddy Tribe / La Tribu Passamaquoddy (here, next to this marker); Friar's Head / Le Cap Friar (here, next to this marker); Panoramic View of Cottages (here, next to this marker); President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (approx. one kilometer away); Roosevelt Campobello Park (approx. one kilometer away). Click for a list of all markers in Welshpool.
 
Also see . . .  Roosevelt Campobello International Park. (Submitted on March 5, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. EntertainmentMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Photo 4 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, 1904
6. Photo 4 on Campobello Company and Hotels Marker
Friar's Head Observation Deck Sign image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr.
7. Friar's Head Observation Deck Sign
Turn here to get to the markers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement