“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

T.C. Frost

T.C. Frost Monument image. Click for full size.
By Zacharias Beau T, May 30, 2011
1. T.C. Frost Monument
(monument text)
Public Servant

(plaque text):
Thomas Claiborne Frost (1833 – 1903)
Born in Jackson County, Alabama in 1833, T. C. Frost graduated from Irving College in Tennessee before arriving in Texas in 1854 as an assistant professor at Austin College in Huntsville. He studied law in Sam Houstonís office and received his license to practice signed by Judge R. E. B. Baylor. After moving to Comanche County in 1857, Frost was appointed to the Texas Rangers, protecting the citizens of Coryell and Comanche counties against Indian raids. He established a law practice in Comanche in 1859 and was elected District Attorney for Comanche County the following year.
In 1861, T. C. Frost organized a company in the Texas State Troops, known as the First Texas Mounted Riflemen. After he was elected lieutenant colonel, his regiment was then mustered into the Confederate States Army.
T. C. Frostís brother, John Frost, asked him to join his mercantile and auction business in 1867 on San Antonioís Main Plaza next to San Fernando Cathedral. Frost added a wool commission business and warehouse, making advances to wool growers and handling their sales. In 1868, a banking business developed, and he became known as
Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Zacharias Beau T, May 30, 2011
2. Plaque
T. C. Frost, Banker. On February 20, 1899, the Frost National Bank, whose principal office is just across the street, was chartered. The character and values that T. C. Frost evidenced throughout his life laid the foundation for the institution that bears his name. He died in San Antonio at his home on Soledad Street near Romana Plaza on November 21, 1903, leaving a five-generation heritage of Frosts who have continuously served this community. (2001)
Erected 2001.
Location. 29° 25.597′ N, 98° 29.648′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Houston St. and N. Flores St., on the right when traveling west on W. Houston St.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Woll Invasion (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); General David E. Twiggs (about 600 feet away); T.C. Frost and the Frost Bank (about 700 feet away); Zero Milestone Old Spanish Trail (about 700 feet away); Civil War Centennial 1861 - 1961 (about 700 feet away); San Fernando Cathedral 200th Anniversary
Close Up image. Click for full size.
By Zacharias Beau T, May 30, 2011
3. Close Up
(about 800 feet away); Remains of the Alamo Heroes (about 800 feet away); San Antonio's River Walk and Flood Control System (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. EducationPoliticsWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement