“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodstock in Bibb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Town of Woodstock

Town of Woodstock Marker, side A image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 7, 2013
1. Town of Woodstock Marker, side A
Inscription. Woodstock was first settled in the 1820s with a formal land grant to William Houston on Feb. 27, 1826. The settlement was established along the old Tuscaloosa to Huntsville Stage Coach Line. Woodstock got its name when Dr. J.U. Ray named it after the home of his ancestors, Woodstock, England. Dr. Rays American ancestors arrived in America from England at Jamestown, Virginia. In 1870, Dr. Ray built the first depot for the newly constructed Alabama-Chattanooga Railroad. After the Alabama Great Southern Railroad came the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Each operated a depot in the area. In 1872, a line was installed down to West Blocton to ship the large abundance of coal found in the area. Woodstock became a break and storage yard for coal, red and brown iron ore and cotton. After the Civil War, rich iron ore deposits were mined. In 1872, Mr. Giles Edwards moved to Woodstock from Tannehill and built a blast furnace to manufacture pig iron.

Mr. Edwards was later joined in the business by his son-in-law, James W. McQueen, who went on to become the president of Sloss-Sheffield Iron Company in Birmingham. In addition to the iron ore mining, coal mining, and farming, a jug factory was built to take advantage of the large deposits of fire clay that was in the area. The clay was used to make bricks, jugs, pots, and
Town of Woodstock Marker, side B image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 7, 2013
2. Town of Woodstock Marker, side B
churns. As many as eight trains per day stopped in Woodstock, carrying away its riches, six of them carrying mail. Woodstock was also the roots of a newspaper business in the 1800s. This publication moved to Six Mile and then to Birmingham where it became the Birmingham News. The Town of Woodstock was formally incorporated in 1996 as North Bibb with Carl Jones as Mayor. Woodstock formally changed its name back to the Town of Woodstock by Ordinance 2008-08-03, effective October 1, 2000. S. B. Albert Hutchens, Mayor.
Erected 2010.
Location. 33° 12.64′ N, 87° 9.674′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, Alabama, in Bibb County. Marker is on Alabama Route 5, on the right. Click for map. Located at the Woodstock Town Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Woodstock AL 35188, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eighth Iowa Cavalry (approx. 6 miles away); Tannehill Furnaces (approx. 6 miles away); Civil War Site 1861-1865 (approx. 6 miles away); Tannehill Ironworks (approx. 6 miles away); Tannehill Furnace And Foundry (approx. 6.1 miles away); West Blocton, Alabama (approx. 7 miles away); Blocton / Blocton Coke Ovens (approx. 7.3 miles away); Belle Ellen (approx. 8 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Town of Woodstock Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, March 7, 2013
3. Town of Woodstock Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement