“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

W. L. and Susan Clayton

W. L. and Susan Clayton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, March 17, 2013
1. W. L. and Susan Clayton Marker
Inscription. Mississippi native William Lockhart Clayton (1880-1966) left school early to become a court reporter. His skill attracted an executive of the American Cotton Company, and he moved first to St. Louis then to the New York office the following year. He soon became Assistant General Manager. In 1904, he organized a partnership with his sister's husband Frank E. Anderson and the latter's brother Monroe D. Anderson in forming Anderson, Clayton & Company in Oklahoma City. They were joined in 1905 by Will's brother, Benjamin. By 1916, two years after the Houston Ship Channel opened, and in the midst of World War I, the firm moved its headquarters to Houston. During the war, Clayton served on the Committee on Cotton Distribution of The War Industries Board, then returned to the firm, which greatly expanded into international markets. Before World War II, he returned to government service, later becoming Under-Secretary of State for Economic Affairs (1945-47) under George C. Marshall. He is widely recognized as a principal architect of the post World War II Marshall Plan.

Susan Vaughan (1881-1960), born in Kentucky, wed Will Clayton in 1902. She worked with noted architect Birdsall P. Briscoe on their home at this site, later advising him on other family homes in the River Oaks subdivision. Noted for her architectural taste, Sue was
A Clayton Library Building image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, March 17, 2013
2. A Clayton Library Building
also known for philanthropic work, raising funds for the Fine Arts Museum, supporting women's suffrage and helping build low-income housing. The Claytons bequeathed their nearby home to Houston's public library; it is now the site of one of the country's foremost centers for genealogical research. The Claytons' legacy continues to enhance Houston culture and resources, and their descendants still support programs and institutions the couple began.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14912.)
Location. 29° 43.542′ N, 95° 23.191′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Caroline Street and Calumet Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located in front of the Clayton House Library building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5300 Caroline Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clayton House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Houston (approx. 0.2 miles away); Holland Lodge No. 1 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Houston Light Guard (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Waldo Mansion (approx. one mile away); Temple Beth Israel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Houston.
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommercePolitics
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement