Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Battle of Bloody Marsh

 
 
Battle of Bloody Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. Battle of Bloody Marsh Marker
Inscription.
We are resolved not to suffer defeat - we will rather die like Leonidas and his Spartans - if we can but protect Georgia and Carolina and the rest of the Americans from desolation † † † † † † Oglethorpe

Erected on the battlefield of Bloody Marsh - by the Georgia Society of Colonial Dames of America and the Georgia Society of Colonial Wars in memory of the great victory won over the Spainiards on this spot July 7 - 1742

Tiffany & Co.

 
Erected by Society of Colonial Dames of America, Georgia Society of Colonial Wars.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
 
Location. 31° 9.387′ N, 81° 22.78′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Demere Rd. Click for map. This marker is located in the Blood Marsh Unit of the Fort Fredericka National Monument. The unit is located on Demere Rd., south of Stewart St. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Clash Of Cultures (within shouting distance of this marker); Demere Road
Battle of Bloody Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2008
2. Battle of Bloody Marsh Marker
Granite monument on St. Simons Island commemorating the victory of James Oglethorpe's forces over a Spanish invasion force at the Battle of Bloody Marsh. The monument is on dry land at the edge of the marsh where the July 1742 battle was fought.
(approx. 0.6 miles away); S.S. Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Retreat Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Simons Park (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fort Saint Simons (approx. 1.5 miles away); Delegal's Fort (approx. 1.5 miles away); Old Spanish Garden (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
 
Regarding Battle of Bloody Marsh. Occupying most of the southeast portion of the island was Kelvin Grove. Its over sixteen hundred acres included the site of Bloody Marsh battlefield, near which stood a beautiful three-story house with a widow's walk that looked out over the ocean. The tract was settled in the 1790s by Thomas Cater, and developed into a prominent estate by South Carolinian James Postell, who married into the Cater family.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The Battle of Gully Hole Creek which occurred earlier in the same day.
 
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Bloody Marsh.
Bloody Marsh Battle Site image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 2008
3. Bloody Marsh Battle Site
In the 1742 Battle of Bloody Marsh on St. Simons Island, General Oglethorpe's soldiers defeated Spanish forces in what was the only Spanish invasion of Georgia during the War of Jenkins' Ear. The battle earned its name from its location rather than from the number of casualties, which were minimal. General Oglethorpe's English, Scottish Highlander, and Indian forces numbered around 650 men. Spanish Governor Montiano's invasion forces numbered 52 ships and over 2000 men.
Our Georgia History (Submitted on October 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Wikipedia entry ; War of Jenkins Ear. The battle took place during the War of Jenkinsí Ear, which comes from an incident involving a Spanish officer cutting off one of Robert Jenkinsí ears. (Submitted on October 24, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraMilitary
 
Battle of Bloody Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Byron Hooks, March 20, 2013
4. Battle of Bloody Marsh Marker
NPS sign located on Demere Rd. (looking north) image. Click for full size.
By Byron Hooks, March 20, 2013
5. NPS sign located on Demere Rd. (looking north)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,010 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on , by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on , by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement