Colton in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1961 by Jurupa Palor No. 296 Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 121.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 1.753′ N, 117° 22.522′ W. Marker is in Colton, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker can be reached from East Agua Mansa Road near South Riverside Avenue, on the left. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 270 East Agua Mansa Road, Colton CA 92324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant (approx. 2.4 miles away); Robidoux Grist Mill Site (approx. 3 miles away); Mission Inn (approx. 3.2 miles away); Mount Rubidoux (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jensen-Alvarado Ranch (approx. 3.4 miles away); De Anza Crossing of the Santa Ana River (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fort Benson (approx. 5.5 miles away); Fontana Farms Company (approx. 5.8 miles away).
More about this marker.
Don Juan Bandini, owner of the Jurupa Rancho, donated parts of his rancho to a group of New Mexican colonists in 1845 on the understanding that they would aid in repelling Indian raids on his stock. The community was named Agua Mansa-Gentle Water-and was prosperous until 1862, when a great flood suddenly swept down the Santa Ana, carrying away the village of adobe buildings and covering the fields with sand and gravel. The village was rebuilt on higher ground, but never regained its former prosperity.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Drew W of Vista, California. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Drew W of Vista, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Entering of the Agua Mesa Cemetery Marker seen in photo #4 as its own marker page. • Can you help?