“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cambridge City in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Cambridge City

Cambridge City Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 9, 2006
1. Cambridge City Marker
Inscription. A transportation center, platted 1836 along the Whitewater River, the Cumberland/National Road, and the Whitewater Canal route. Four steam railroads served the town; interurban electric railroad opened 1903. Cambridge City Historic District listed in National Register, 1991.
Erected 1993 by Indiana Historic Bureau and Western Wayne Heritage, Inc. (Marker Number 89.1992.2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers, and the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 48.745′ N, 85° 10.295′ W. Marker is in Cambridge City, Indiana, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 40) and Foote Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambridge City IN 47327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iron Brigade Commander (approx. half a mile away); Overbeck House and Studio (approx. half a mile away); East Germantown Civil War Band (approx. 1.9 miles away); Indiana’s First Woman’s Rights Convention (approx. 1.9 miles away);
Marker in the Small Park at Main & Foote image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 9, 2006
2. Marker in the Small Park at Main & Foote
Oliver P. Morton Home (approx. 9.1 miles away); Historic National Road / Make History, Drive It (approx. 9.4 miles away); George Washington Julian (approx. 9.6 miles away); Birthplace of Wilbur Wright (approx. 10.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cambridge City.
Regarding Cambridge City. Railroads traversing Cambridge City included the Indiana Central (Pennsylvania); the Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis; the Fort Wayne, Muncie and Cincinnati (Nickle Plate); the Whitewater Valley (Big Four); and the electric Dayton and Western interurban. The four railroads crossed each other in the one-block area bounded by South 2nd and 3rd, Jones, and Green Streets, two blocks south and one block west from this marker. The interurban ran down the center of the National Road (Main Street) right past the this marker's location. And less than a block east is the Vinton House Inn, now an antiques store, which was at the terminus of the Whitewater Canal that ran to the Ohio River. The turn-around pool was behind the inn.
Also see . . .
1. Cambridge City History. (Submitted on April 18, 2006.)
2. Ghost Railroads of Indiana. Book by Elmer G.Sulzer on has a map of Cambridge City showing the rail lines and depots. (Submitted on April 18, 2006.) 

3. Central Indiana Interurban: Images of America. Book by Robert Reed on has photos of the Dayton and Western. (Submitted on April 18, 2006.) 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,924 times since then and 77 times this year. Last updated on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement