Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upper Marlboro in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Schoolhouse Pond

 
 
History of Schoolhouse Pond Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 17, 2013
1. History of Schoolhouse Pond Marker
Inscription.

History of Schoolhouse Pond

The exact history of Schoolhouse Pond is unclear. The area now occupied by the pond appears in land records of the 1840's and 1850's as dry land. It is referred to as meadow on some maps and as a marsh on others.

The most commonly accepted idea is that Schoolhouse Pond resulted from a milling operation near the pond. A mill or mills have occupied a site on the northwest edge of Schoolhouse Pond since the founding of Upper Marlborough in 1706. In the 1720's, Daniel Carroll, father of Archbishop John Carroll and Daniel Carroll of Rock Creek, operated a grist mill in this location which included a mill race and mill pond. Milling operations on this site continued until around 1900 with the closing of the mill. The mill pond, lacking maintenance, over flowed into what had been a low-lying meadowland and after a short time formed what is today called Schoolhouse Pond.

Another idea is that beavers may have dammed a small stream running through the area, forming a marshy shallow pond. The beavers that you may see while strolling around the pond may be from another long line of Marlboro families!

In the 1970's The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission dredged the pond, added the boardwalk and made shoreline improvements. The 3/4 mile loop trail
History of Schoolhouse Pond Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 17, 2013
2. History of Schoolhouse Pond Marker
around the pond is now a popular spot for residents and people who work in Upper Marlboro.
 
Erected by The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
 
Location. 38° 49.118′ N, 76° 45.057′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Governor Odin Bowie Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is across the street from 14898 Governor Oden Bowie Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Rogers (1723 - 1789) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Beanes (about 500 feet away); Dr. William Beanes (about 500 feet away); Darnallís Chance Burial Vault (about 500 feet away); Turn of Events (about 500 feet away); The Walk of History (about 600 feet away); Marlboro Academy (about 700 feet away); Tried for Treason (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Upper Marlboro.
 
Also see . . .  Schoolhouse Pond Bird Checklist. (Submitted on March 29, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
Pond Duck image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 17, 2013
3. Pond Duck
on the Schoolhouse Pond marker
Swan Watching image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2009
4. Swan Watching
at Schoolhouse Pond
Trumpeter Swan image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2009
5. Trumpeter Swan
on Schoolhouse Pond
Trumpeter Swan image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2009
6. Trumpeter Swan
on Schoolhouse Pond
Lord of the Shallows image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 8, 2009
7. Lord of the Shallows
Statue of Great Blue Herons by John Neal Mullican, 1987
on Schoolhouse Pond
Feeding Geese image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2009
8. Feeding Geese
at Schoolhouse Pond
Coot and Mallard image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 8, 2009
9. Coot and Mallard
on Schoolhouse Pond
Bishop John Carroll image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, March 17, 2013
10. Bishop John Carroll
from the nearby bicentennial monument
(Sculpted by Felix de Weldon)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 249 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement