Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Montgomery County Court House

 
 
Close Up of Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
1. Close Up of Court House Marker
Inscription. There have been four court houses in Rockville since it was established as the County seat in 1776. Court was originally held at Hungerford Tavern. A frame court house existed in the late 18th century but was sufficiently outgrown by 1810 to necessitate a new building for the Clerk and his records.

In 1835, the County petitioned the General Assembly for authorization of a new brick court house, which was completed in 1840. By that time, Rockville was an established residential, governmental, and market hub with a population of nearly 400. The original single-story wings of the court house were raised in 1872 to provide more space. One year later, however, the Metropolitan Branch of the B&O Railroad opened. Population and court house business increased significantly, and the court house building was again outgrown. It was demolished in 1890.

The General Assembly authorized another bond issue for the replacement brick and sandstone Romanesque Revival court house which was constructed in 1890-91 and which stands here today.

Montgomery County's growth continued, and the grey Neoclassical style court house was constructed and connected to the 1891 court house in 1931.
 
Erected 2001 by City of Rockville, Maryland, and The Rockville Historic District Commission.
 
Marker series.
Montgomery County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
2. Montgomery County Court House Marker
This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
 
Location. 39° 5.029′ N, 77° 9.09′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Courthouse Squre near Washington Street and West Montgomery Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Courthouse Square, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1891 Red Brick Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Rockville (a few steps from this marker); Red Brick Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Gibbs v. Broome, et al/1931 Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Rockville.
 
More about this marker. One of the series of Lost Rockville – 1801 To 1850 markers erected for Rockville's 200th Anniversary.
 
Regarding Montgomery County Court House. Known as the Old Red Brick Courthouse.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Rockville Walking Tour. Stop 7 on this tour. (Submitted on January 15, 2006.) 

2. Old Red Brick Courthouse Building. (Submitted on January 15, 2006.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The "Red Brick" Court House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, July 7, 2007
3. The "Red Brick" Court House
"Mr. Rockville" Joe Stenberg Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
4. "Mr. Rockville" Joe Stenberg Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of Joe Steinberg, "Mr. Rockville". Born, raised, lived his lifetime in Rockville as merchant and real estate broker, who gave love, devotion and great humor to his beloved courthouse and community. With love from his family.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,026 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement