Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

St. Paulís Catholic Church

Original Church built 1907 – Moved to Huron 1949

 
 
St. Paulís Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 22, 2013
1. St. Paulís Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. Coalinga was a mission attached to the St. Brigidís Parish in Hanford up to 1907, when Rev. E. Girarde was appointed the first pastor of Coalingaís new St. Paulís Catholic Church. St. Paulís was served by sixteen pastors from 1907 to 1945. In 1945 Rev. Daniel J. Keenan became the pastor and aided in raising money for a new church. Funds were raised by $100.00 a plate dinners. In 1949 the original church was moved to Huron and the new St. Paulís was completed and dedicated on Saint Peter and Paulís day. The church was built of adobe brick, in the Spanish style. The altar was built of Arizona flagstone as was the entire sanctuary floor. Lighting fixtures and altar ornaments were fabricated locally. On May 2, 1983 an earthquake of 6.7 magnitude hit Coalinga at 4:42 P.M. and St. Paulís was damaged so severely that it was condemned for further use as a church.
 
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
 
Location. 36° 8.512′ N, 120° 21.851′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of Sunset Avenue and West Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north on Sunset Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Sunset Avenue, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
St. Paulís Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 22, 2013
2. St. Paulís Catholic Church Marker
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grammar School (within shouting distance of this marker); “Dr. Bill” (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Coalinga (about 500 feet away); B.M. Food Market (about 500 feet away); The Phelps Building (about 600 feet away); Coalinga Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Bertrich Block (about 600 feet away); Liberty “Airdome Theater” (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Coalinga.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Vic Davis Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 22, 2013
3. Vic Davis Memorial
This park is dedicated to Coalingaís best friend and caring citizen, Vic Davis, a resident since 1928. Vic has always been interested in making our city a better place to live having served as a planning commissioners and member of the Coalnga Lions Club since 1938. The lighting of the tree in this park every Christmas has been Vicís project since he conceived the idea in 1965. Davis Park is a living monument to his devotion to making this world a more desirable place.
Vic Davis Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 22, 2013
4. Vic Davis Memorial
Located in a park opposite St. Paulís Catholic Church. This is a rear view of the stone base that holds the Vic Davis Memorial Plaque.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement