Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Coalinga’s Notorious Whiskey Row “1909”
(The list of Whiskey Row businesses does not appear to be coordinated with the illustration on the marker.)
1. The Cornet Saloon. Coalinga’s First Saloon was located at 101 E. F. St. on the corner of Fifth and F St. M.F. Gibson and Mills, Prop.
2. The McIntyre Restaurant, Alvin McIntyre, Prop. 107 E. F St.
3. Jeweler and Pawn Broker, Edward Zeiph, Prop. 111 E. F St.
4. Jack’s Place Saloon, 115 E. F. St. Coalinga Athletic Club. 115 E. F St.
5. The Portola Bar and Restaurant, 123 E. F St. Gooding and DeLashmutt, Prop.
6. Oil Well Supplies, Tay and Pike, Prop. 129 E. F St.
7. Barber Shop, James Grigsby, Dan Trudgen, Prop. 137 E. F St. - it is reported that Mr. Trudgen killed a man in a gun fight over Tenderloin Belles.
8. Restaurant, W.B. Gill, Prop. 127 E. F St.
9. Palace Saloon and Billards, Ed Walker and O.D. Loftus, Prop. 141 E. F St.
10. Barber Shop, Gus Foht, Myers and Spainhower, Prop. 147 E. F St.
11. Axtell Prop, 147 E. F St.
12 Thompson Bros. Saloon, 153 E. F
13. Brunswick Billiard Parlor, also Inverstors, I.M. Casey & Co. 159 E. F St.
14. Fresno Hotel, Johnson and Henderson, Prop. 165 E. F St.
15. The Eagle Saloon, Chas. Bedford, Prop. 167 E. F St.
17. Coalinga Restaurant, Beck and Steinhauser, Prop. 191 E. F St.
18. The Yosemite House and Saloon, Rooms Furnished, Wiltsle Bros., Prop. E. F St. One of Coalinga’s finest.
19. Barber Shop, Theodore Werper, Prop. 134 Fifth St.
20. Cigar Store, Christy and Cockrell, Prop. 138 Fifth St.
21. Hyman Goldwater, Pawn Broker, 142 Fifth St.
Thank You Mr. Glen Marcussen for your historical research. The Lions Club is deeply grateful.
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
Location. 36° 8.345′ N, 120° 21.541′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of East Forest Avenue and South 5th Street, on the left when traveling west on East Forest Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Forest Avenue, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A.P. May Inc. (a few steps from this marker); Fredrick Tibbits and Louis O’Neill (a few steps from this marker); Coalinga’s First Rail Station – 1891 (within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Bordagaray’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Crescent Meat Co. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Earthquake of 1983 (about 500 feet away); Amy Building (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Coalinga.
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.