Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Oldest Commercial Building in Richmond
During the Civil War, the Union Army passed by this spot on their way into Richmond. This area was the heart of the Confederate Civil War hospital, prison and supply district.
Originally a lumberhouse, It has served the community as a brewery, soap and candle factory, saddle factory, gunsmith and produce market. The storefront was added in 1909 to depict the popular Greek Revival style of architecture.
Location. 37° 32.024′ N, 77° 25.619′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North 18th Street (U.S. 360) and East Franklin Street, on the left when traveling north on North 18th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Origins of Richmond (here, next to this marker); Francis Asbury (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate General Hospital No. 12 (about 400 feet away); Craig House (about The Oldest House (about 700 feet away); Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (about 800 feet away); Early Quakers in Richmond (about 800 feet away); Branch Public Baths (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.