Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Memorial Landscape
The extension of George Street to a new high school cut through several lots to create this island of green. The flagpole comprised the first memorial and lists the names of local men killed in France during World War I. The 40mm anti-aircraft gun is a reminder of World War II. The large granite panels were placed on an expanded island in 2008. The names of the fallen are guarded by two deck guns from the Spanish-American War, a late nineteenth century war that initiated America's historic and continuing role in overseas conflicts.
Additional memorials can be found on the grounds of the former school, where students have remembered their peers with benches, flagpoles, and plaques. The town renamed the old Fredericksburg High School after Matthew Fontaine Maury, a local boy who grew up to do pioneering research in oceanography while an officer in the United States Navy.
Erected by Fredericksburg's Economic Development Authority.
Location. 38° 18.052′ N, 77° 27.809′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fredericksburg Roll of Honor (here, next to this marker); Liberty Town (within shouting distance of this marker); The Barton Street Potter's Field (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barton Street Confederate Monument (about 300 feet away); From a Burying Ground to a Park (about 400 feet away); The Corporation Burying Ground (about 400 feet away); Masonic Cemetery (about 800 feet away); Fredericksburg Campaign (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Regarding A Memorial Landscape. Pictures at the top of the marker feature:
In 1932, a stone memorial, commemorating Virginia's Statute for Religious Freedom, stood in this location. It was moved to Washington Avenue in 1977.
An extended George Street is seen in this 1969 City map, which created the traffic island that has been the site of a series of memorials.
Matthew Fontaine Maury was born in Spotsylvania county, in 1806. When the Civil War came, he resigned his commission in the U. S. Navy to serve in the Confederate Navy.
Maury School was built in 1919, as the Fredericksburg
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.