Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
High Springs in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

High Springs, Florida

 
 
High Springs, Florida Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
1. High Springs, Florida Marker
Inscription. The northwest region of Alachua County was probably first settled on a permanent basis by English speaking people during the late 1830's. One of the earliest settlements `in the vicinity was at Crockett Springs, located about three miles east of present day High Springs. Settlers who were living there during the 1840's included Fernando Underwood and Marshal Blanton. No town developed in the area before the latter part of the nineteenth century. In 1884, the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railroad was extended from Live Oak to Gainesville. A post office and station were established here in that year under the name of Santaffey, which was a common spelling of the name of the nearby Santa Fe River. The town was also known unofficially as Orion before the name was changed in 1888 to High Springs. In the next few years, High Springs boomed as a result of the development of phosphate mining in the area. In 1892, the town was incorporated. During the next year, the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railroad completed its South Florida Division which connected High Springs with Port Tampa. By the beginning of the twentieth century, High Springs was known as an important railroad center. In later years, High Springs has been the focus for the surrounding agricultural region.
 
Erected
High Springs, Florida Marker, along NW 1st Avenue State Route 20 (U.S. 27) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
2. High Springs, Florida Marker, along NW 1st Avenue State Route 20 (U.S. 27)
1973 by Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F-217.)
 
Location. 29° 49.659′ N, 82° 35.887′ W. Marker is in High Springs, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on NW 1st Avenue State Route 20 (U.S. 27), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between NW 1st and NW 2nd Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 NW 1st Avenue, High Springs FL 32643, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. American Legion Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroading In High Springs (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952 (approx. 4.3 miles away); "CCC Boy" Statue (approx. 6.1 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 6.1 miles away); Town of Leno (approx. 6.1 miles away); Bellamy Road (approx. 6.1 miles away); City of Alachua (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in High Springs.
 
Also see . . .  High Springs. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 18.5 square miles (48 km2). 18.5 square miles (48 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.16%) is water. (Submitted on April 9, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
High Springs, Florida Marker (center) at City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
3. High Springs, Florida Marker (center) at City Hall
 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
High Springs, Florida, American Legion Veterans Memorial, nearby image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 20, 2013
4. High Springs, Florida, American Legion Veterans Memorial, nearby
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 704 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement