Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brookneal in Campbell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hat Creek Church

 
 
Hat Creek Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 30, 2013
1. Hat Creek Church Marker
Inscription. Four and a half miles north stands Hat Creek Presbyterian Church, founded by John Irving and associates (first settlers) about 1742. William Irving, son of John, and the noted blind preacher, James Waddel, were among its pastors. The first log building was replaced in 1788, and two other churches have been since built on the original site.
 
Erected 1947 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number FR-16.)
 
Location. 37° 4.68′ N, 78° 55.026′ W. Marker is near Brookneal, Virginia, in Campbell County. Marker is at the intersection of Swinging Bridge Road (County Route 605) and Wickliffe Road (Virginia Route 40), on the right when traveling west on Swinging Bridge Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brookneal VA 24528, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Patrick Henry’s Grave (approx. one mile away); Birthplace of General Pick (approx. 2.4 miles away); Red Hill (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Patrick Henry’s Grave (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Patrick Henry’s Grave
Hat Creek Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 30, 2013
2. Hat Creek Church Marker
Swinging Bridge Road is in the foreground. Route 40 is on the right.
(approx. 2.6 miles away); Campbell County / Halifax County (approx. 3.3 miles away); Rough Creek Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); Red House (approx. 9.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brookneal.
 
Also see . . .  Campbell Chronicles and Family Sketches, Chapter II. Transcript of 1927 book by R. H. Early. “John Irvine, pioneer of these settlers, came alone into the virgin forest and blazed the way for others who were to follow him. In a wilderness of thirty-five or forty miles extent, he only found one very old white resident. Patenting there a large tract of land he prepared for the settlement of his family upon it, returning to Pennsylvania for them.

“His report of the likelihood of a living being obtainable in this new country induced others to follow, and people then flocked to the neighborhood, for land was cheap and wood for building and for fuel was abundant.

“As soon as they had established themselves in their new homes, Irvine persuaded the settlers to unite with him in building a place of worship, and the first church was given the name Hat Creek from that of the nearby stream. Community interests centered around this church and as its membership became extended through the adjoining
The Current Hat Creek Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 30, 2013
3. The Current Hat Creek Presbyterian Church
From the marker, take Swinging Bridge Road to Hat Creek Road, and after a while you’ll come to the church on the left.
country, its influence increased and it eventually became the mother of other county churches.” (Submitted on April 13, 2013, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement