Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1940, there was a tremendous need for additional classroom space. In the Toccoa Falls News, Dr. Forrest reported that the Institute had 22 faculty members, 400 students, and only nine classrooms! there simply was not enough space for classes. As an act of faith, he and a group of students broke ground for a new classroom building and began praying for God to send the money needed to build the structure.
For a time, the only evidence of their faith in the project was a gaping hole in the ground that the students had dug. Finally, the foundation was poured as the prayers continued. During this time of waiting, Dr. Forrest received a letter from John Earl asking for a meeting and saying what a blessing Dr. Forrest's weekly radio broadcast was to him and his wife. When the two men met, Mr. Earl made an interesting business proposal. He would donate a piece of property in Atlanta, Georgia, to the college with the condition that once it was sold, the Institute would give the Earls a set monthly income for the rest of their lives. Dr. Forrest accepted the proposal and in 1943, Earl Hall was completed. The building contained classrooms for the high school, a canteen, and a bookstore. Kelly Barnes was the first principal, followed by Leon Gathany, Forrest Wheeler, and Don Andrews. Earl Hall continued to house the high
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. donated by the Toccoa Falls Academy Class of 1976.
Erected 2007 by Toccoa Falls Academy Class of 1976.
Location. 34° 35.633′ N, 83° 21.433′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker can be reached from Bandy Drive, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LeTourneau Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); G.I. Hill & The Steel Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Woerner World Missions Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forrest Hall - Ball Field Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (about 300 feet away); Dining Hall & Chapel (about 300 feet away); Stewart Hall (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.