Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bradley in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Pleyto

 
 
Pleyto Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
1. Pleyto Marker
Inscription. Located along the south bank of the San Antonio River it was at the junction of Pleyto Road and the road to Bradley. The town of Pleyto now lies under the waters of Lake San Antonio.

As early as 1796, the area was known as Pleito or El Pleito. Pleito, a Spanish legal term meaning ‘litigation’ or ‘dispute’, may have been applied due to a dispute between the San Miguel and San Antonio Missions over property rights. Another theory is that the Indian Rancheria of Assil, located near the old Pleyto Bridge, was a meeting place where Indians disagreements or lawsuits were settled.

On July 18, 1845, the land was granted to Jose Antonio Chavez as Rancho San Bartolome. Twelve years later the Rancho, by then known as Pleyto, was purchased by W.S. Johnson. In 1868 William Pinkerton, Sr. bought 13,100 acres of the ranch. It was Pinkerton who laid out the town.

A post office was opened on December 14, 1870 under the name ‘Pleito’. The coast stage line, which maintained stables here, listed the stop as ‘Plato Ranch’ per its 1871 time table. By 1884 the post office name was changed to ‘Pleyto’. Despite the changeable name, the town boasted a store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and school. The post office closed for the last time on February 14, 1929, and the town receded into memory. By 1964, when the San Antonio Dam
Pleyto Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
2. Pleyto Marker
was completed, few vestiges of the pioneer settlement remained.
 
Erected 1998 by E Clampus Vitus, Monterey Viejo Chapter No. 1846.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 35° 52.364′ N, 120° 59.445′ W. Marker is in Bradley, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from New Pleyto Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bradley CA 93426, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lockwood (approx. 6.8 miles away); Jolon (approx. 12.3 miles away); Dutton Hotel (approx. 12.5 miles away); Jose Mario Gil Adobe (approx. 12.6 miles away); Lincoln-Adelaida School (approx. 16 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is in San Antonio Reservoir Recreation Area on the east side of the lake.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
The Site of Pleyto image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, March 21, 2013
3. The Site of Pleyto
Somewhere under the waters of Lake San Antonio.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement