Near Winnabow in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1954 by the Archives Conservation and Highway Departments. (Marker Number D-54.)
Location. 34° 3.79′ N, 77° 57.495′ W. Marker is near Winnabow, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on Plantation Road near Orton Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orton Plantation (a few steps from this marker); St. Philips Church (a few steps from this marker); Fort Anderson (approx. half a mile away); Russellborough (approx. 1.4 miles away); Russelborough (approx. 1.4 miles away); Brunswick Town State Historic Site (approx. 1.8 miles away); John LaPierre (approx. 1.8 miles away); Colonel Maurice Moore (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Winnabow.
Also see . . . The Town of Brunswick. “The port became a bustling shipping area for exporting tar, pitch, and turpentine. These products, derived from the resin of the longleaf pine, were known collectively as naval stores. This ‘sticky gold’ was essential for building and maintaining the great wooden sailing ships of the Royal Navy and the merchant fleet that sailed the oceans between Europe, its American colonies, and the islands of the Caribbean.” (Submitted on March 22, 2008.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,180 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.