Centreville in Saint Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Joseph County Courthouse
Michigan Territorial Governor George B. Porter proclaimed Centreville the St. Joseph County seat on November 22, 1831. On November 7, 1831, Robert Clark Jr., Electra W. Dean, Charles Noble and Daniel B. Miller donated the public square and fifty-six additional lots to the county. The first courthouse, a Greek Revival structure with four large columns on its east portico, was built in the center of the square in 1842 by John Bryan. That building was removed in 1899, to make way for the present red brick and sandstone courthouse, whose construction began on September 8 of that year. Grand Rapids architect Sydney J. Osgood designed the Romanesque Revival structure, and Coldwater contractors Crookshank and Somers built it at a cost of $33,000.
The present St. Joseph County courthouse was dedicated on August 1, 1900. Its Romanesque Revival design creates a commodious, well-lighted, solid building that echos the justice and stability it represents. Marble floors, wide spacious stairs, ornately carved woodwork, frosted glass doors and three wall murals still grace the little-altered interior. The clock, whose faces are five and one-half feet in diameter, was purchased by the Village of Centreville for $850 and placed in the seventy-five-foot tower prior to the completion of the
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1150A.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 55.407′ N, 85° 31.661′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Michigan, in Saint Joseph County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Michigan Route 86) and South Clark Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 W Main St, Centreville MI 49032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Joseph County Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); One Hundredth Anniversary of Centreville (within shouting distance of this marker); Leverett and Amanda Clapp House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Centreville Civil War Monument (approx. half a mile away); Stewart House Langley Covered Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); Culbertson Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Three Rivers Soldiers Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Centreville.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.