Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cassopolis in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Cass County Courthouse

 
 
Cass County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
1. Cass County Courthouse Marker
Inscription. Completed in 1899, this wooden frame building with limestone veneer is the third courthouse to serve Cass County. The Territorial Government of Michigan established the county in 1829 and named it after then Governor Lewis Cass. Two years later Cassopolis became the county seat. The Board of Supervisors built the first courthouse in 1835 away from the Public Square. The area's rapid growth necessitated the erection of a second courthouse on the Public Square in 1841. Nineteen years later some county offices moved across the street to a building called "The Fort." The inconvenience of two separate facilities and the dilapidated condition of the second courthouse led to construction of the present building. With a wing added in 1976, it remains the seat of justice in Cass County.
 
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L487.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 54.71′ N, 86° 0.739′ W. Marker is in Cassopolis, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of North Broadway Street (State Highway 62) and East State Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling north
Cass County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
2. Cass County Courthouse Marker
Located near former entrance on N. Broadway Street
on North Broadway Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cassopolis MI 49031, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Freedom Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Cassopolis Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lewis Cass (approx. 0.4 miles away); Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); Cass County Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Underground Railway (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 5 miles away); Birch Lake Meeting House (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cassopolis.
 
More about this marker. The marker site is Stop #9 on the Cass County Underground Railroad Sites auto tour.
 
Also see . . .  Underground Railroad Society of Cass County (URSCC). (Submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Cass County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
3. Cass County Courthouse
View to east across N. Broadway Street
Relief of Lewis Cass image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., October 19, 2014
4. Relief of Lewis Cass
The relief of Lewis Cass can be seen from the historical marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 329 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   4. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement