Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edwardsburg in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Presbyterian Church

 
 
The Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
1. The Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. In 1831, Luther Humphrey of the American Home Missionary Society organized the Presbyterian Church of Edwardsburg. He described the village as "a few log cabins...standing amongst the bushes and brush." Members worshipped in homes until the chapel was built in 1856. In 1923, Emily Coolidge Chapin of Chicago donated money to renovate the church. The former Edwardsburg resident was the widow of iron entrepreneur Charles Chapin.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2079.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 47.83′ N, 86° 5.073′ W. Marker is in Edwardsburg, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling north on Lake Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 68961 Lake St, Edwardsburg MI 49112, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smith's Chapel (approx. 3.7 miles away); The History of Boot Lake (approx. 5 miles away in Indiana); Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679
Entrance to The Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
2. Entrance to The Presbyterian Church
Marker to the left of the entrance
(approx. 6 miles away in Indiana); Howard Township Hall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Mother Angela Gillespie, C.S.C. (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana); Historic Cross Relocation (approx. 7.7 miles away in Indiana).
 
More about this marker. Marker is affixed to the front wall of the church next to the main entrance.
 
Regarding The Presbyterian Church. The church is American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Society Site No. 354 registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
The Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
3. The Presbyterian Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   2. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement