Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwardsburg in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Smith's Chapel

 
 
Smith's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
1. Smith's Chapel Marker
Inscription. The first Methodist church in Milton Township was organized in 1839. The following year, this church was built and named Smith's Chapel to honor Canon Smith, who had contributed generously to the construction of the church. Smith, a native of Delaware, bought land here in 1829 and settled on it in 1831. The chapel is one of the oldest Methodist churches in southwestern Michigan. In 1967 regular church services were discontinued. Milton Township purchased the structure in 1972. It now serves as a wedding and funeral chapel.
 
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L652A.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 46.079′ N, 86° 8.697′ W. Marker is near Edwardsburg, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker can be reached from Redfield Rd 0.4 miles west of Brush Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in Milton Township. Marker is in this post office area: Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mother Angela Gillespie, C.S.C.
Smith's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, April 22, 2013
2. Smith's Chapel
Marker on wall to the right of the entrance
(approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); Historic Cross Relocation (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); Sisters of the Holy Cross (approx. 4.4 miles away in Indiana); La Salle's Camp (approx. 6 miles away in Indiana); Bertrand (approx. 6.1 miles away); St. Joseph's Mission (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker is affixed to the front, south-facing wall of the chapel.
 
Regarding Smith's Chapel. Smith's Chapel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement