Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ring Music Hall
The 1930s were years of anxiety for much of the world. At Toccoa Falls there were moments of concern, too, but these were mingled with times of joy as the Lord continued to provide. In 1938, as a result of the continuing economic depression of the country, the National Youth Administration (N.Y.A.) - a government youth program - was launched. This program offered practical training to young people. Toccoa Falls was a chosen site for a Residential Project, which increased the Institute's enrollment. Courses such as crafts, home economics, wood and metal shop, agriculture, and radio were added.
The N.Y.A. constructed four buildings of native stone on the TFI campus where these classes were taught. These included the Shop Building, the Agricultural Building, the Radio Building, which was converted into Ring Music Hall, and the Home Economics Building, a two story building located near the falls known as Gate Cottage.
After the program ended as the county entered World War II, the radio building was located near the creek and across the road from the college cemetery, was converted first into a wood shop and then into a music building. It was named Ring Music Hall in honor of Virginia Ring, a music student, who died in 1940. Fire destroyed this building in 1958. but not before the college's music groups became
This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated in memory of Troy (1944) and in honor of Rebecca (1959). Donated by David (1968) and Michelle (Ring, HS 1964, BC 1968) Austin.
Erected 2007 by David and Michelle Ring Austin.
Location. 34° 35.533′ N, 83° 21.467′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Forrest Drive, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alan Todd Yearwood Memorial Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Dining Hall & Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stewart Hall (about 300 feet away); Woerner World Missions Center (about 300 feet away); Bandy Music Hall (about 300 feet away); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (about 400 feet away); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (about 400 feet away); The Tents (about 400 feet away); Administration Building (about 400 feet away); Morrison Hall - Old Barn (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Toccoa.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.