“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Vineland in Pueblo County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)

San Carlos de los Jupes

San Carlos de los Jupes Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 18, 2013
1. San Carlos de los Jupes Marker
Inscription. By 1700 Comanches moved south from the northern Rockies onto the plains of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. They raided the Apaches and Spanish settlements from the late 1600s until 1779 when the Governor of New Mexico, Don Juan Bautista de Anza, decisively defeated a large group, led by Cuerno Verde in a battle near the mountains to the southwest of here. The Comanches signed a peace treaty in 1786, and a year later the asked for Spanish assistance to build a permanent farm village. The Spanish provided workmen, tools, farming implements, seed and livestock to help found San Carlos de los Jupes, but Comanche religious beliefs caused abandonment of the village within a year because a member of the tribe died there. It is believed that San Carlos de los Jupes was built just west of here at the confluence of the Arkansas and San Carlos rivers. Although this early Spanish attempt to colonize Plains Indians failed, the Comanches were comparatively friendly towards the New Mexican settlements thereafter.
Erected 1972 by the State Historical Society of Colorado, the Arkansas Valley Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Colorado Department of Highways through the Robert S. Ellison Memorial Fund. (Marker Number 161.)
Marker series.
San Carlos de los Jupes Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 18, 2013
2. San Carlos de los Jupes Marker
This marker is included in the History Colorado marker series.
Location. 38° 15.863′ N, 104° 27.474′ W. Marker is near Vineland, Colorado, in Pueblo County. Marker is at the intersection of Lane 36 (Colorado Route 231) and Santa Fe Drive (U.S. 50), on the left when traveling north on Lane 36. Click for map. Marker is just south of the Arkansas River bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Pueblo CO 81006, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jacob Fowler's Lookout - Fountain City (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Mormon Battalion (approx. 8 miles away); Fort Pueblo (approx. 8.3 miles away); Teresita Sandoval (approx. 8.3 miles away); Borderland - Pueblo / Railroads - Pueblo Country (approx. 8.4 miles away); Pueblo - Trail Days / Industrial Frontier - Pinon County (approx. 15.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Mrs. John B. Farley of the DAR Arkansas Valley Chapter did the research for the text of this marker, which was erected September 30, 1972 for the Colorado Bicentennial. Source: Colorado Historical Markers compiled and edited by Junann J. Stieghorst, 1978
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 135 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement