Pacifica in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Little Brown Church
During World War II, it broadened to become a Red Cross center, well-baby clinic, and teen center. The Reverend Herschel Harkins, pastor from 1943 to 1965, became such a beloved leader that Pacifica named its municipal pier in his honor. In 1983, the church changed function to become the police headquarters, and 2003, the Pacifica Historical Society took charge. Besides a museum, the Little Brown Church is again a community gathering place.
Erected 2012 by E Clampus Vitus, Yerba Buena Chapter #1.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 38.085′ N, 122° 29.412′ W. Marker is in Pacifica, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is at the intersection of Francisco Boulevard and Salada Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Francisco Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1850 Francisco Boulevard, Pacifica CA 94044, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Discovery of San Francisco Bay (approx. 2.5 miles away); Captain Don Gaspar de Portolà Joe Cavalli – Historical Site (approx. 3.3 miles away); Molloy’s Springs (approx. 3.3 miles away); Sanchez Adobe (approx. 3.3 miles away); Colma City Hall (approx. 3.4 miles away); Old Colma Railroad Station (approx. 3.8 miles away); Mount Olivet Cemetery Office and Streetcar Line (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pacifica.
Also see . . . The Pacifica Historical Society - Little Brown Church. Records indicate that the Little Brown Church was built between May and July of 1910 and dedicated on July 24, 1910. (Submitted on April 27, 2013.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 368 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.