near Alachua in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Santa Fe de Toloca
Archaeological investigations between 1986 and 1989, by the Florida Museum of Natural History at the University of Florida, have revealed traces of a Spanish-style church, a cemetery with Indian burial in Christian fashion, traces of Indian village life, and fragments of seventeenth century Spanish and Indian pottery.
The Indians at Santa Fe provisioned the Castillo de San Marcos and the town of St. Augustine with their crops of corn, wheat, and probably peaches, which they carried in baskets strapped to their backs along the Old Spanish Trail. Produce and cattle were also boated down the Santa Fe and Suwannee Rivers to Cuba.
(Reverse side text)
The mission church and village were attacked and burned in 1702 by invading English soldiers and their Indian allies from the Carolinas. The destruction of Santa Fe de Toloca, and the other missions of la Florida, weakened Spain's control and led, ultimately to Florida becoming a United States' possession in 1821.
Santa Fe de Toloca was located at an existing Indian village. This may have been the same village visited by Hernando de Soto's army in 1539; a village called Cholupaha.
This area was called "Bland" by its first and only postmaster, J.L. Matthews, who named it for his son in 1903.
Erected 1989 by Alachua County Historical Commission in Cooperation with the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-325.)
Location. 29° 55.474′ N, 82° 30.327′ W. Marker is in near Alachua, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on County Road 241 S near NW 294 Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bland Community and Ogden School / Odgen School (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1824 - The Bellamy Road - 1952 (approx. 4.4 miles away); Town of Leno (approx. 4.5 miles away); Bellamy Road (approx. 4.5 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 4.6 miles away); "CCC Boy" Statue (approx. 4.6 miles away); Village Of Providence (approx. 6 miles away); LaCrosse (approx. 8.2 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 483 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.