Greenville in Pitt County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Voice Of America
relayed from Greenville
to Europe, Africa, and
Latin America, 1963-89,
via station 2 mi. S.W.
Erected 2003 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number F-67.)
Location. 35° 38.93′ N, 77° 27.773′ W. Marker is in Greenville, North Carolina, in Pitt County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 43 and VOA Site C Road (State Road 1212), on the right when traveling south on State Highway 43. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville NC 27834, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sallie S. Cotten (approx. 2.1 miles away); Otter Creek Bridge Skirmish (approx. 4.2 miles away); Plank Road (approx. 5.2 miles away); Thomas J. Jarvis (approx. 5.4 miles away); a different marker also named Thomas J. Jarvis (approx. 5.5 miles away); Baptist State Convention (approx. 5.5 miles away); Greenville (approx. 5.8 miles away); Chasing Gen. Potter (approx. 7.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greenville.
Regarding Voice Of America. In 1942, the Foreign Information Service, precursor to the Voice of America
A key link in the network was built in eastern North Carolina. The facility consisted of three sites west, east, and southeast of Greenville. The sites were chosen to ensure the best “electronic propagation conditions.” The receiving station (named for Edward R. Murrow) was located four miles west of town. Programs originating from the Washington studios were beamed via microwave to Greenville and then were relayed to Latin America, Europe, and Africa. Transmitter sites were erected about eighteen miles away—“Site A” across the Beaufort County line and “Site B” near the Beaufort-Craven line. Each of the remote sites housed nine transmitters—three of 500,000 watts, three of 250,000 watts, and three of 50,000 watts. In all, the sites covered 6,193 acres and employed 100 people working around the clock. With its inauguration in 1963, the $23 million Greenville operation doubled the VOAís power.
VOA personnel ceased to use Site C in 1985. Decommissioned by the government in 1999, the relay station (“Site C”) property was sold in 2001 to East Carolina University. There today ECUís West Research Campus houses its Physician Assistant Program and the North Carolina AgroMedicine Institute. The site hosts a facility developed by the Office of State Archaeology in cooperation with ECUís Program in Maritime Studies. The lab serves as base for conservation work on artifacts recovered from the presumed wreck of the flagship of the pirate Blackbeard, Queen Anneís Revenge. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Communications • War, Cold •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.