Berrien Springs in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1870 Berrien County Jail
A Unique Jail
Gilbert B. Avery, architect of the 1839 Courthouse next door, also designed the 1870 Berrien County Jail and Sheriff's Residence. The brick jail appeared from the outside as a conventional square structure with a ventilator atop a glass skylight.
Inside, Avery arranged the cells in a circular pattern. Twenty-four triangular cells - sixteen on the first floor and eight on the second - surrounded a central core, where a pump and bathtub let prisoners bathe. The jailer could let inmates exercise in the outer walkway while still confining them within the exterior walls.
Removal of the county seat to St. Joseph in 1894 left the jail vacant. It fell into disrepair, and in 1916 its owners demolished it.
The Great Escape
One Saturday in July 1883, eight prisoners made a bold escape from this jail. Removing the bathtub in the central core, they pumped water from the cistern below until they could climb inside and begin to dig. They tunneled under the north wall but the soft earth gave way, exposing the tunnel and forcing them to crawl up in broad daylight.
The sheriff, county clerk and several townspeople began a lively chase and soon recaptured most of them. Their tunnel became a short-lived tourist attraction as people came from all around the
Erected by Burnett's Traders, No. 567 Questers.
Location. 41° 56.869′ N, 86° 20.473′ W. Marker is in Berrien Springs, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker can be reached from North Kimmel Street south of West Union Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker and jail site are located behind the courthouse at The History Center at Courthouse Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 313 N Cass St, Berrien Springs MI 49103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Berrien County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Berrien Springs Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrews University (approx. 1.1 miles away); Union Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Morris Chapel Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Johnson Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Sumnerville Mounds / Sumnerville Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Hogue House (approx. 7.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Berrien Springs.
Also see . . . The History Center at Courthouse Square. (Submitted on April 30, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 415 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.