Near La Cienega in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Golondrinas Old Cienega Village Museum
Location. 35° 34.488′ N, 106° 6.722′ W. Marker is near La Cienega, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is on Los Pinos Road just east of Paseo Real (County Road 54), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. From Santa Fe take Exit 276 towards Santa Fe, and follow the signs to the frontage road. From Albuquerque take exit 271 to Entrada La Cienega and turn right on Los Pinos Road. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Fe NM 87505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sisters of Charity (approx. 4.1 miles away); Maria Gertrudis Barceló (approx. 4.1 miles away); Three Wise Women (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bicentennial Celebration / La Bajada (approx. 4.1 miles away); Laura Gilpin (1891-1979) Amelia Elizabeth White / Mary Cabot Wheelwright (approx. 4.1 miles away); Gold and Turquoise (approx. 4.1 miles away); San Isidro Catholic Church (approx. 8.5 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is in poor repair perhaps because it was omitted from the 1994 Archuletta-Ocaña inventory.
Regarding Golondrinas Old Cienega Village Museum. Nowadays the museum is open by appointment only in April, May and October, except for the Santa Fe Wine Festival and the ¡Viva México! Celebration in July, and the Santa Fe Renaissance Fair in September. Call +1 (505) 473-4169 to make reservations.
The Josefina doll accessories in the American Girl collection includes a number of books which are illustrated with Rancho de las Golondrinas buildings. A Josefina™ at Las Golondrinas tour is also available.
Also see . . .
1. El Rancho de las Golondrinas. ‘El Rancho de las Golondrinas is a living history museum located on 200 acres in a rural farming valley just south of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The museum, dedicated to the history, heritage and culture of 18th and 19th century New Mexico, opened in 1972. Original (Submitted on May 1, 2013.)
2. Wikipedia Entry. El Rancho de las Golondrinas (The Ranch of the Swallows) is a former ranch in the northern part of the U.S. state of New Mexico that has been recreated as a “living museum.” Going north it was the last camping place (paraje, cf. caravanserai) on the Camino Real before reaching Santa Fe, New Mexico and a day’s journey south of Santa Fe. Today, its 200 acres (0.81 km2) is located just north of La Bajada Hill in the Caja del Rio on Los Pinos Road about 12 mi (19 km) southwest of the Santa Fe city limits. The ranch was founded by Miguel Vega y Coca in 1710. (Submitted on May 1, 2013.)
Additional keywords. El Rancho de las Golondrinas
Categories. • Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the ranch and museum • Can you help?