Oil City in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In Memory of Cornplanter
1735 - 1836
Chief of the Seneca Indians
Who for services rendered the State of Pennsylvania at the close of the Revolution was created by Governor Mifflin in 1789 the land on which this part of Oil City is situated.
Erected by Putnam-King Chapter D.A.R.,.
Location. 41° 26.03′ N, 79° 42.513′ W. Marker is in Oil City, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker is at the intersection of Seneca Street and Center Street (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling south on Seneca Street. Click for map. On the east face of the former Oil City National Bank building. Marker is in this post office area: Oil City PA 16301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patrick C. Boyle (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornplanter (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Lockhart (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jacob J. Vandergrift (about 600 feet away); In Commemoration of the Gift (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Reid Gas Engine Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Oil Well Supply Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Francis "Gabby" Gabreski (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Oil City.
Categories. • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.