Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Topeka in Shawnee County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Mulvane General Store

1924

 
 
Mulvane General Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 20, 2012
1. Mulvane General Store Marker
Inscription.

This building was built in 1924 by Albert Carlson. In 1935 it was purchased by the Schuler family and operated as Schuler's Grocery Store until the mid 1960's. It provided goods for its customers and operated as a neighborhood gathering place, much as the general stores did during an earlier time in Topeka history. The most recent owners, Drs. Chu-Chi Chen and Sheue Huey Lai-Chen, donated the structure to Historic Ward-Meade Park.

The general stores of Topeka's early history served as commercial centers, offering food, clothing, tools, toys, fabric, notions and confections. The stores also often served as the post office and bank.

The Mulvane General Store was named after Joab and John Ross Mulvane, prominent businessmen in Topeka from the 1870's to the late 1920's. Today the Mulvane General Store serves as our visitor's center and museum gift shop.
 
Erected by Old Prairie Town.
 
Location. 39° 3.804′ N, 95° 41.009′ W. Marker is in Topeka, Kansas, in Shawnee County. Click for map. Marker is in Old Prairie Town at Historic Ward-Meade Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 NW Fillmore Street, Topeka KS 66606, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Mulvane General Store and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 20, 2012
2. Mulvane General Store and Marker
Marker is at far right of photo
marker. Potwin Drug Store (a few steps from this marker); Everest Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Victor Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Barber Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Sheldon Study (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pauline Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Lingo Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Fe Caboose #1552 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Topeka.
 
Also see . . .
1. Old Prairie Town in Historic Ward-Meade Park, Topeka KS. (Submitted on May 2, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Ward-Meade Park, Topeka KS. (Submitted on May 2, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement