“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell

Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, October 20, 2012
1. Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell Marker
Inscription. Campbell Avenue is named in honor of Edmund D. and Elizabeth P. Campbell, whose accomplishments and civic activism set a high standard for all to follow.

Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl was born December 4, 1902, in Clemmons, North Carolina. She received a Bachelorís degree in English from Salem College and a Masterís degree in education from Columbia University. At just 25, she became dean of Moravian College for Women in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. In 1929, she became dean of Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Virginia. In June 1936, Elizabeth Pfohl wed Edmund D. Campbell. They settled in Arlington County and raised four children.

Concerned about the quality of public education in Arlington, Elizabeth Campbell won a seat in 1947 on the Countyís first elected school board. She was the first woman to be elected to a school board in Virginia. She served three terms, 1948-1951, 1952-1955, and 1960-1963, and was chairman three times. Her leadership and commitment led to funding for seven new schools; hiring more teachers at better salaries; starting such programs as kindergarten, full-day sessions for first- and second-graders, music and art classes for African American students, and educational services for the handicapped; and launching the first countywide school bus service. In the mid- to late-1950s, she and her husband
Elizabeth and Edmund Campbell Markers image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, October 20, 2012
2. Elizabeth and Edmund Campbell Markers
joined together in the struggle to desegregate Virginiaís public schools.

In 1957, Elizabeth Campbell became president of the Greater Washington Educational Television Association (GWETA), formed to offer a nonprofit and noncommercial educational broadcast service to the Washington, D.C. area. In 1958, GWETA inaugurated its first daytime broadcast on local station WTTG, airing Time for Science, a science enrichment program for elementary school students. In 1961, a public television station began broadcasting in the nationís capital as WETA Channel 26. Under her pioneering leadership, WETA flourished, growing from a small local public television station into a multimedia company of national renown. Elizabeth Campbell stepped down from her role as president in 1971 to become WETAís vice president of community affairs, a position she held until her death.

Elizabeth Campbell received many awards recognizing her decades of public service, including Washingtonian of the Year in 1978 and public televisionís highest honor, the Ralph Lowell Award, from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting in 1996. She also received five honorary doctorate degrees. Elizabeth P. Campbell died on January 9, 2004, in Arlington.
Erected 2009 by Arlington County, Virginia.
Location. 38° 
Looking across Campbell Avenue to Shirlington Library image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, April 27, 2013
3. Looking across Campbell Avenue to Shirlington Library
50.458′ N, 77° 5.396′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on Campbell Avenue south of South Arlington Mill Drive, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located at the entrance to the Shirlington Branch Library and Signature Theater. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4200 Campbell Avenue, Arlington VA 22206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edmund Douglas Campbell (here, next to this marker); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Reynolds (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington and Old Dominion Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tracks Into History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nauck: A Neighborhood History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fairlington (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battery Gareschť (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
Categories. Charity & Public WorkCivil RightsCommunicationsEducation
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement