Salina in Saline County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Founders of the Salina Town Company
William A. Phillips • Alexander M. Campbell • Alexander C. Spilman • James Muir • David Phillips
Their motto for Salina
"Religion first, Education second, Business third"
Original town founded in 1858 contained 320 acres. Boundaries were north to south & Front to Ninth Streets
By 1902 this block included:
1. Grand Central Hotel
2. Opera House
3. UCT Convention Hall
Location. 38° 50.383′ N, 97° 36.573′ W. Marker is in Salina, Kansas, in Saline County. Click for map. Marker is near the parking lot located off 7th Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 South Santa Fe Avenue (rear), Salina KS 67401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fox-Watson Theatre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Founders Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); M60 Main Battle Tank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Memorial Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gen. John A. Logan (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oakdale Memorial Gateway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Col. William A. Phillips (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salina.
Also see . . .
1. Salina (Kansas) History. (Submitted on May 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Smoky Hill Museum, Salina KS. (Submitted on May 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.