Pooler in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
466th Bomb Group (H)
Eighth Air Force, Second Air Division
March 1944 - July 1945
Flew 231 Combat Missions
In B-24 "Liberator" Aircraft
In an air offense over the continent:
Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe
Dedicated 15 April 1999
In Memory Of All Who Served
Dedicated in remembrance
of all who served in the
466th Bomb Group (H)
333 Killed In Action
231 Combat Missions Flown
First Mission Last Mission
22 March 1944 25 April 1945
Location. 32° 6.943′ N, 81° 14.206′ W. Marker is in Pooler, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker can be reached from 175 Bourne Avenue. Click for map. Located adjacent to I-95, Georgia exit 102, (US 80 east), at the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Pooler GA 31322, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. B/G John S. Allard (a few steps from this marker); The Resistance 379th Bombardment Group (H) (a few steps from this marker); 491st Bombardment Group (H) (a few steps from this marker); 351st Bombardment Group (Heavy) (a few steps from this marker); Lewis Elton Lyle (a few steps from this marker); WW II Bombardiers (a few steps from this marker); 385th Bombardment Group (H) (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Pooler.
Also see . . . 466th Bombardment Group - Eighth Air Force Historical Society. On July 25, 1944, the 466th BG led the entire 8th Air Force to German fortification around St. Lo to help the Allied ground invasion. The lead pilot, navigator, and bombardier were awarded the Croix de Guerre for their unusual airmanship. (Submitted on May 6, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 638 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.