Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taneytown in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Everyone is Welcome

 
 
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
1. Everyone is Welcome Marker
Inscription. Settlers like German Protestants along with the French-and English-speaking Roman Catholics brought their unique cultures and their different religious denominations to Taneytown. By the 1750s, the German Reformed Church had organized its congregation on Emmitsburg Road and shared a union church building first with German-speaking Lutherans and later with English-speaking Presbyterians.

In the late 19th century, the prosperity sparked by new railroad construction enabled all of the congregations to improve their buildings. St. Joseph’s was rebuilt in a Gothic Revival style that included a bell made by McShane bell foundry in Glen Burnie, and a tracker action organ. To make the notes sound on a tracker action organ, the organist pressed the key or pedal to open a valve and let air into the pipe. Today, the organ is powered by electricity, a great improvement over the hand pumping previously required to make the air flow—a job that kept young boys busy during services.

(Inscription under the photo on the bottom left)
Grace United Church of Christ improved its building in 1890 using Romanesque architecture, a style easily recognized by the round arches above the windows.

(Photo courtesy of Donald L. Unger) “….our bells have never chimed more sweetly, and our doxologies to the beneficent giver of
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
2. Everyone is Welcome Marker
all blessing have never been sung more heartily…” Rev. W. H. Luchenback, Trinity Lutheran Church-Taneytown Centennial Celebration Address, July 4, 1876.

(Inscription under the photo at the bottom middle)
St. Joseph’s tracker action organ was built in 1804 by Henry Pike England and rebuilt in 1875 by Henry Neimann. Photo courtesy of William T. VanPelt.

(Inscription for the photo on the bottom right)
Trinity Lutheran Church has been expanded three times; this photo shows how it looked during the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Its present form reflects the work performed by John Augustus Dempwolf Architectural Firm in 1896. Photo courtesy of the Historic Society of Carroll County.
 
Erected by Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 39° 39.511′ N, 77° 10.694′ W. Marker is in Taneytown, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is on Frederick Street south of Memorial Drive / Warehouse Alley. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 Frederick Street, Taneytown MD 21787, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Steps of the Sisters" (a few steps from this marker); Adam Good Tavern (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Heart of Our Town
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
3. Everyone is Welcome Marker
St, Joseph's Roman Catholic Church 1872
(about 600 feet away); Zile's Ice Cream (about 800 feet away); Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Painting the Town Red (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1st Lieutenant John E. Buffington (approx. 0.3 miles away); Taneytown Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Taneytown.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Joseph Catholic Church, Taneytown MD. (Submitted on December 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Grace United Church of Christ, Taneytown MD. (Submitted on December 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Taneytown MD. (Submitted on December 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
4. Everyone is Welcome Marker
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 5, 2013
5. Everyone is Welcome Marker
Grace United Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
6. Grace United Church of Christ
Grace United Church of Christ improved its building in 1890 using Romanesque architecture, a style easily recognized by the round arches above the windows.
Close-up of photo on marker
Organ Pipes<br>St. Joseph's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
7. Organ Pipes
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
Close-up of VanPelt photo on marker.
Tracker Action Organ image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
8. Tracker Action Organ
St. Joseph’s tracker action organ was built in 1804 by Henry Pike England and rebuilt in 1875 by Henry Neimann.
Close-up of VanPelt photo on marker.
Trinity Lutheran Church<br>1863 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
9. Trinity Lutheran Church
1863
Trinity Lutheran Church has been expanded three times; this photo shows how it looked during the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. Its present form reflects the work performed by John Augustus Dempwolf Architectural Firm in 1896.
Close-up of photo on marker.
Trinity Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
10. Trinity Lutheran Church
“The first church on this lot was dedicated in1813. In l84l, l87l & 1897 remodelings were completed. For all appearances, the church was a new structure, but contains a large part of the original walls, which can be viewed at the rear of the building. Basically the church is Romanesque in style. The former belfry was used as a signal tower before the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863, using flags by day and flares by night.” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
Trinity Lutheran Church<br>1897 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
11. Trinity Lutheran Church
1897
Grace United Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
12. Grace United Church of Christ
“The Reformed congregation acquired this land in 1764 (Lot 88). An early church, built of logs & siding, sat near the front of the present cemetery, known as the "Old Yellow Church". The Lutherans worshiped here also until their own church was completed in 1813. A union church was built on this site in 1822 (Presbyterian & Reformed). The present structure dates from about 1890. Extensive remodeling and additions have occurred through the years. The comer towers are offset by an impressive gable section with round arch openings; Romanesque in style. ” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
St. Joseph's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
13. St. Joseph's Catholic Church
St. Joseph Catholic Church<br>est.. 1797 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
14. St. Joseph Catholic Church
est.. 1797
“The lst church on this site (1796) was of brick. The entrance faced the cemetery. The present church dates from 1876. It is a fine example of early Victorian style, basically Gothic in design. The church houses a completely restored 1804 English tracker-action pipe organ. The stained glass windows are outstanding. Several are memorials to former residents of this street: the Fink, Hemler, Hagan & Eckenrode families. ” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
St. Joseph Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
15. St. Joseph Catholic Church
In Memory of the Unborn Child<br>St. Joseph Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
16. In Memory of the Unborn Child
St. Joseph Catholic Church
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 21, 2015
17. Everyone is Welcome Marker
Everyone is Welcome Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 21, 2015
18. Everyone is Welcome Marker
House in original distance photo was razed between 2013-2015
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   17, 18. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement